Which houseplants for a healthy environment?
Did you know that some plants can decontaminate the air? Indeed, some plants not only beautify your home, they can also clean it. These plants are able to purify the air and offer a healthier environment by absorbing the toxic elements that pollute the house. There are about 50 plants with such cleansing properties, for example the ficus.
The air inside our homes
The interior of our homes and apartments is much more polluted than it looks. It is loaded with invisible chemical components that most plants are able to absorb!
- The majority of materials that make up our homes and cleaning products large amounts of substances harmful to our health.
- Paints, detergents, deodorants, insecticides, solvents, etc. are concentrates of benzene, xylene, formaldehyde and toluene that participate in pollution.
After a series of studies conducted by French (Phyt'air) and American (Nasa) laboratories, it turns out that many plants can help us evacuate or at least absorb most of these substances.
Air cleaning mechanism
Although this mechanism is sometimes called into question by some studies, research on plants shows that there is a beneficial effect on the quality of the air we breathe.
- The air cleaning is based on the principle of gas exchange.
- The harmful substances present in the air are absorbed by the plant thanks to its foliage and are transformed into active organic matter thanks to its root system.
- The plant then emits much cleaner Co2 than it absorbed before.
- It improves the quality of the air inside the house as well as the oxygen level.
- Obviously, the more the plant grows, the more efficient this process is.
The majority of plants play an important role in this process and it is even demonstrated that a beautiful plant every 10 square meters significantly improves the purity of the air.